- Rate - a comparison of two quantities measured in different units. (eg. $1.00 per 100g or $1.00/ 100g)
- Proportion - two equivalent fractions, ratios and rates.
Part 2 - Questions
- 5 hours to travel 360 kilometers is about ____ km/h.
360 divided by 5 equals 72. That means that we have to travel
72km/ hour or 72km per hour.
2. Emma saves 28 cents of every dollar she earns. Emma earned $75 last week. How much money did Emma save last week?
cents 0.28 equals 21 Multiply by 75.
$ $1 equals $75
Part 3 - Equivalent Ratio Statements
- 3/4=12/16 or 4/9=16/32
3x16=48 so 4 has to multiply with 12.
Part 4 - Video of Proportion
Task 5 - Is This Fair?
1. Does this seem fair?
No, this is SO not fair.
2. With what you know about proportion look and read what is in the image above. Does it seem just and fair?
No, it does NOT seem just and fair.
3. Why have you made this choice?
This man did steal the money, but he felt bad about it afterwards and confessed to the police. He needed the money for shelter and food, but he did the right thing instead. They should at LEAST reduce the time he's in prison to less than a year!
4. What would you have done if you were the judge?
If I were the judge, I would still have to put him in jail. Only because he did something wrong, but I wouldn't put him in jail for 15 years, I would put him in for a couple of months because he did do the right thing.